Dimetrodon Figure by Papo
Believe it or not, this little guy isn’t actually a dinosaur!
Commonly mistaken to be a dinosaur (and featured on many games as such), the Dimetrodon is actually a Synapsid, a group of quadrupeds that lived hundreds of millions of years before most of the famous dinosaurs we know of, including the Velociraptor and Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Nevertheless, this figure fits perfectly with the rest of its dinosaur brothers and sisters, and in stunning detail and design, it’s definitely a creature to add to your collection.
Here are a few more facts about this wonderful Synapsid:
- The Synapsid creatures, including the Dimetrodon, lived 50 million years before even the first dinosaurs began to evolve.
- The Dimetrodon used its long scale-like sail on its back to regulate the temperature in its body, though it has also been speculated that it was used to court others of its kind.
- Most of the early 1900’s excavated skeletons of the Dimetrodon didn’t have tails, and it wasn’t until 1927 that a skeleton was unearthed and had a tail.
- The Dimetrodon has been measured to be over 11 feet long, and weigh as much as 550 pounds!
- The name Dimetrodon means “Two Measures (of) Tooth), and was given to this creature because of its double sets of teeth that it used to feed on fish, and other small animals.
- Plastic Dimetrodon figure
- Durable, sturdy material
- Very detailed in craftsmanship and coloring
- Size approximately ?” x ?”
- Weight approximately ?lbs